Vantrue OnDash N1 Dash Cam – Quick Look
Continue reading to find out more…
Similar to the W20 model, in the box you get the following items:
* USB charging cable
* Car charger
* Suction cup mount
* £20 off coupon for another Vantrue camera
* User Manual
* Vantrue N1 dash cam captures video in Full HD 1080P resolution at 30FPS; plus HDR – presenting more details from shadows to highlights, it clearly shows license plates and street signs when played back.
* The dust and heat proof F2.0 6-Layer Optical Glass Lens captures high quality images in bad driving environments.
* N1 dash cam’s 156 Deg. wide viewing angle captures grandeur scenario.
* N1 dash cam’s superior night vision grabs outstanding video at night.
* Neat design, ultra compact and lightweight (2.36×1.34×1.97 in., 3 oz.), the Vantrue N1 dash cam is easy to install and securely attach to the windshield and hide.
* The G-Sensor auto locks videos with impact detected. Support manually locking videos with emergency button.
* Seamless loop recording enables it to overwrite the oldest footage with the newest upon filling a card to capacity.
* One press to switch the dash camera to Parking Mode, triggered by the motion detection sensor, the dash camera will auto record when people or things come closer to your car.
Built on Novatek NT96650 processor + AR0330 color CMOS sensor, the Vantrue N1 dash cam captures video in 1080P resolution, and features high stability on seamless loop recording.
Easy to use
* Vantrue N1 dash cam’s 1.5-in display allows for playback of videos and pictures, and exclusively new operation interface makes the setup easier.
* N1 dash cam auto powers on and record while car engine started.
* More loop recording time options: 1mins, 2mins, 5mins, 10mins, 15mins and 20mins.
* Quick snapshot in 12M pixels with the Snapshot button.
* Support up to 32GB microSD card (not included).
After a couple days testing, the Vantrue N1 DashCam is an excellent, quality built device that you should definitely consider if your on the lookout for a dashcam.
You’ll notice straight out of the box that the camera is of great quality, it feels solid and looks the part too. It comes in a bit thicker than the W20 camera, but overall is smaller. Connecting it to the mount and to the windshield is easy and the windscreen suction cup has a handy little locking switch – which makes sticking it to the window, a piece of cake.
When driving you want to keep the car charger in your glove box, this will ensure you can record constantly without the fear of running out of battery. The car charger is about 6-7ft long so there is plenty of spare cable should you need it.
Tonnes of settings:
Turning the device on for the first time, you can push the ”M” button to dive straight into the menu and adjust a couple of settings if you wish. Theres all the usual menu options in here, such as video quality (1080p, 720p, WVGA, VGA), colour balance, loop recording, HDR, motion detection, Microphone, language, auto lcd off and many more.
For me I usually make sure loop recording is set to ”off” so that the video will constantly record on x1 video file until the SD card fills up. You can set this into various time increments if you wish, i.e set it to record a new video file every 1 minutes, 2, 10, 15, 20 etc. I also make sure that the sound recording is ”off” – so that I’m only recording the video footage and no audio. This is personal preference though but its a nice feature to have so you can save a little bit of SD card space.
Built in microphone:
This is better than most of the other mics in other dashcams. I had a lot less background noise on this cam when testing the mic out so would give the mic a thumbs up.
Micro SD card slot:
The camera can take up to a maximum of 32GB Micro SD (sold separately) to record onto. I tested this camera with a 4GB card in it and that allowed me to record constantly for 40 minutes before the card was full. A 32GB will allow you to record at full quality (1920×1080-30fps) for approx 5.5 hours – which is great !
Auto-on and Record:
Another great feature is that if you have the camera plugged in when you start the car, it will turn the camera on and it will begin recording immediately. You can also turn this function off in the settings if you wish.
The G sensor is also built in which will detect when there are a lot of G’s present (i.e lets say in a crash). G-sensors measure the movement of your vehicle through 3 axis; up and down, left and right, forwards and backwards. This information can help paint the picture of events in the case of an incident, but can also trigger your car camera to respond appropriately. Cameras will use their G-sensors to detect significant or sudden movement and automatically lock the video file being produced at the time, meaning that any significant footage is saved. While this is a highly-useful function that will safeguard any genuine incidents, ranging from crashes and collisions to heavy braking and swerving, it can also be triggered by potholes, speed-bumps and other minor incidents. This camera allows you to alter its sensitivity of the G sensor, to alleviate this issue.
Connect the camera straight to your PC, TV via HDMI cable to review footage. You can also connect the SD card to your PC and watch the footage that way as well.
The camera overall is packed full of features, its incredibly easy to set up. I even gave my Mum it (whos in her mid 50’s and isn’t tech savvy) for a day, and she said it was really easy to set up and use and also connect it to the PC to get the video footage off it.
Compared to the DBPOWER W20 cam, the N1 is a little more expensive, however, I do prefer the N1’s small compact size, its feels a lot stronger than the W20 too ! I was able to record for 40 minutes on full HD with the N1 using a 4GB card. The W20 only allowed about 20 minutes record time on full HD. I also prefer the mic on the N1, the sound recording quality was much improved over the W20’s built in mic. All in all I’d probably fork out the extra money for the N1 for the minor improvements over the W20.
N.b – at the time of posting this, if you buy a N1, you also get a £20 off another N1 (for a limited time only) at Amazon.co.uk
Would recommend this to anyone whos on the fence / interested in buying a dashcam. Solidly built, easy to use and great image quality.
Check out the video below: